• Welcome to Thai Audio/Video Club. Please or
06 July 2020, 02:19:34 am


การลงทะเบียน ผู้สมัครต้องส่งบัตรประชาชน ยืนยันตัวตนครับ (กำกับด้วยว่า ใช้สมัครสมาชิกบอร์ดเท่านั้น  ปิดเลขบัตร ปิด barcode ปิด วันเกิด ปิดที่อยู่  เปิดแค่ชื่อ นามสกุล กับรูปภาพ ก็พอครับ) http://www.thaiavclub.org/Forum/index.php?topic=2816.0


Started by Night Owl, 03 September 2002, 07:13:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Night Owl


นับจากเดือน มิ.ย  

Timothy White               บรรณาธิการบริหารนิตยสาร Billboard

John Entwistle               มือเบสวง The Who

Rosemary Clooney       นักร้องแจ๊สระดับลายคราม


Ray Brown                      มือเบสแจ๊สระดับตำนาน

และล่าสุดเมื่อวันที่  31 ส.ค   Lionel Hampton  มือไวบราโฟนระดับตำนานอีกคน   ซึ่งดิฉันตกข่าวอย่างแรงเพราะไม่ได้เข้าไปอ่านบิลบอร์ดเมื่อวันหยุดที่ผ่านมา  

ก็ค่อยๆทะยอยล้มหายเหมือนใบไม้ร่วงจริงๆ โดยเฉพาะสายแจ๊สซึ่งส่วนใหญ่จะเป็นไปตามอายุขัย  แต่ได้ยินข่าวทีไรก็อดใจหายไม่ได้ทุกที

เลยคิดว่าน่าจะตั้งเป็นกระทู้ใหม่ไปเลย  เพราะคงมีมาอีกเรื่อยๆเป็นแน่

..................Rest in Peace................... :cry2:                                                                                  

Night Owl

Jazz Great Lionel Hampton Dies

AP--  94-year-old vibraphone virtuoso, showman, and bandleader Lionel Hampton died yesterday (Aug. 31) of heart failure at New York's Mount Sinai Medical Center, said his manager, Phil Leshin. Hampton suffered two strokes in 1995 and had been in failing health in recent years.

\"He was really a towering jazz figure,\" said saxophonist Sonny Rollins, who played with Hampton in the 1950s. \"He really personified the spirit of jazz because he had so much joy about his playing.\"

Through a six-decade career, Hampton played with a who's who of jazz, from Benny Goodman to Louis Armstrong to Charlie Parker to Quincy Jones. His own band helped foster or showcase other jazz greats including Charlie Mingus, Dexter Gordon, Fats Navarro, Joe Williams and Dinah Washington.

\"With Hampton's death, we've drawn closer to losing part of the origins of the early jazz era,\" said Phil Schaap, a jazz historian.

Jones, the Grammy-winning producer and composer, said in a statement that Hampton was a mentor for more than 50 years. Jones was 15 when he first played trumpet with Hampton. \"He taught me how to groove and how to laugh and how to hang and how to live like a man,\" Jones said. \"Heaven will definitely be feeling some backbeat now.\"

During his career, Hampton performed at the White House for presidents Truman, Eisenhower, Johnson, Nixon, Carter, Reagan, and Bush. When he played for Truman, his was the first black band to ever entertain in the White House, Hampton once said.

Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-N.Y.) remembered Hampton's 90th birthday party at the White House, when the man known as the \"vibe president\" invited President Clinton to grab his saxophone and jam. \"Lionel was a spectacular guy,\" said Rangel, who recalled seeing Hampton play at the Apollo Theater, the legendary concert venue in Harlem.

In 1997, Hampton received the National Medal of Arts -- while wearing a borrowed suit, socks and shoes, because all his clothes and much of his bands' arrangements and other memorabilia had been destroyed in a fire two days earlier.

\"He was an American music legend and will be sorely missed,\" President Bush said in a statement yesterday.

Hampton's music was melodic and swinging, but audiences also responded to his electric personality -- the big smile, energy and bounce that contributed to his style. When not playing the vibes, he drummed, sang and played his own peculiar style of piano, using two fingers as if they were vibraphone mallets.

He was a songwriter, too. His most famous composition, \"Flying Home,\" was written in 1937, and he played it about 300 times a year for the next half-century. It was a hit in 1942, propelled by an Illinois Jacquet tenor sax solo.

Hampton did not have a copy of his birth certificate but marked his birth date as April 20, 1908. It was generally accepted that he was born in Louisville, Ky., and raised by his grandmother in Birmingham, Ala., and Chicago.

He learned to play the drums from a nun while in grade school, and launched his career with Les Hite's band after finishing high school. It wasn't until a 1930 recording session with Armstrong that Hampton played the vibraphones. \"There was a set of vibes in the corner,\" Hampton once recalled. \"Louis said, `Do you know how to play it?'\" He didn't. But after 45 minutes of noodling on the instrument, Hampton felt comfortable enough to swing in behind Armstrong on \"Memories of You.\"

The future \"King of Vibes\" toured with his own band on the West Coast, then settled in at the Paradise Nightclub in Los Angeles. In August 1936, Benny Goodman heard Hampton play and three months later Hampton was onstage with the renowned bandleader at the Pennsylvania Hotel in New York making music, as well as a breakthrough in American race relations.

It was also the start of what Hampton called \"four gorgeous years with Benny\" in the new, trailblazing Benny Goodman Quartet. That group -- with Goodman, Hampton, pianist Teddy Wilson, and drummer Gene Krupa -- broke racial barriers that had largely kept black musicians from performing with whites in public. Wilson and Hampton made up the black half of the foursome.

Wilson had recorded with Goodman and Krupa previously, and white soloists \"jammed\" informally with black groups, but a color line was drawn whenever a white band was on stage.

Hampton took to the road with his own orchestra in 1940 and built bookings into the million-dollar-a-year range. After the big-band era died, Hampton pared down to a smaller group -- around eight players dubbed the Inner Circle -- and he occasionally put bigger groups together to travel the globe as a musical ambassador of the United States.

Hampton regularly turned up at colleges and major jazz festivals, made guest appearances on numerous television variety shows and recorded scores of jazz albums and singles. Hampton also established a community development corporation which, with government support, built low- and middle-income housing in New York and Newark, N.J.

One of his projects in Harlem is named for his wife, Gladys, who died in 1971 after a 35-year marriage. The couple had no children.

In 1987, the University of Idaho named its School of Music after Hampton. The Lionel Hampton School of Music is the only such school named after a jazz musician. Hampton made his final public performance on Feb. 23, 2002, at the school's annual Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival, an event that features four days of concerts, clinics, and student competitions.

Source : Billboard.com , Sep 1 , 2002

Night Owl

คุณพจน์คะ รบกวนช่วยขยับตรงหัวข้อให้หน่อยคะ  มันตกขอบไป ขอบคุณคะ                                                                                  

Night Owl



วันนี้ขอไว้อาลัยให้กับการจากไปอย่างกระทันหันชนิดช๊อควงการของ Timothy White บรรณาธิการบริหารนิตยสารบิลบอร์ด ซึ่งนับเป็นการสูญเสียทรัพยากรบุคคลที่ทรงคุณค่ายิ่งของวงการดนตรีคนหนึ่ง บทบรรณาธิการ \" Music To My Ears\" ของเขานั้นถือเป็นบทความทางดนตรีที่เปี่ยมด้วยคุณภาพและทรงคุณค่ามาโดยตลอดอย่างแท้จริง

ในฐานะผู้อ่านประจำมาอย่างยาวนานคนหนึ่ง รู้สึกใจหายมาก.................ที่จะไม่ได้เห็นข้อเขียนของเขาอีกต่อไปแล้ว

Rest in peace............

Billboard Editor In Chief Timothy White Dies

Timothy White, Billboard's editor in chief and a giant of music journalism, died suddenly today in New York. He was 50.

White apparently suffered a heart attack after returning to the Billboard offices from lunch with a long-time friend. He was unable to be revived after being rushed to St. Vincent's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. White leaves behind his wife, Judy, and their 10-year-old twin sons, Christopher and Alexander.

White's sudden passing left the Billboard offices in a state of shock. His dynamic presence has been the dominant force in Billboard's newsroom since he joined the magazine in January 1991. Known for his probing essays on industry concerns, White tackled controversial issues with passionate resolve. His final column will appear in the July 6 issue of Billboard, available tomorrow.

White's journalism career included stints with the AP and Crawdaddy and a long association with Rolling Stone, where he established his reputation as a foremost celebrity interviewer. Along the way, he established lasting friendships with many of the music world's biggest stars. He was the author of numerous books, including \"Catch a Fire: The Life of Bob Marley\"; \"The Nearest Faraway Place: Brian Wilson, The Beach Boys and The Southern California Experience\"; \"Rock Lives: Profiles & Interviews\"; \"Music To My Ears: The Billboard Essays--Portraits of Popular Music in the '90s\"; and \"Long Ago and Far Away: James Taylor, His Life and Music.\"

Funeral arrangements are pending. A more detailed tribute to White will appear on this site tomorrow.

Source: Billborad.com / Daily Music News , June 28 , 2002                                                                                  

[!--EDIT|Night Owl|Sep 3 2002, 12:55--]

Night Owl

The Who's John Entwistle Dies In Vegas

John Entwistle, bassist for legendary U.K. rock act the Who, was found dead of an apparent heart attack today (June 27) in a Las Vegas hotel room, according to a spokesperson for the Clark County Coroner's office. He was 57.

The Who was to begin an extensive North American tour at the Las Vegas Hard Rock Hotel tomorrow night.

The Vegas show has been canceled but the rest of the tour was undecided, said Beckye Levin of promoter Clear Channel Entertainment. \"I was told he passed away in his sleep last night,\" Levin said, breaking into sobs during a telephone interview.

Who manager Robert Rosenberg said he was \"saddened and shocked.\"

There was \"nothing suspicious\" about Entwistle's death, a Clark County fire
spokesperson said.

Entwistle's passing leaves guitarist Pete Townshend, 57, and vocalist Roger Daltrey, 58, as the Who's lone surviving members. Drummer Keith Moon died of a drug overdose on Sept. 7, 1978, at the age of 31.

Entwistle was born in Cheswick, England, on Oct. 9, 1944. He was playing in bands by his mid-teens and joined the High Numbers with Townshend, Daltrey, and Moon in 1963. The group changed its name to the Who in 1964 and began a recording career that went on to include some of the most influential albums in rock history.

The bassist's rigid on-stage demeanor served as a counterpoint to the maniacal drumming of Moon and Townshend's flamboyant guitar strumming. Although his songwriting contributions were minimal, Entwistle did pen a number of familiar tracks, including \"Boris the Spider\" (from \"Happy Jack,\" issued in the U.K. as \"A Quick One\"), \"My Wife\" (from \"Who's Next\"), and \"Trick of the Light\" (from \"Who Are You\").

He recorded several solo albums, including 1971's highly regarded \"Smash Your Head Against the Wall,\" and in later years toured as the leader of the John Entwistle Band.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y. & AP

Source : Billboard.com/Daily Music News , June 28, 2002


Night Owl

และแล้วก็ลาลับไปอีกคน........Rosemary Clooney

AP : Rosemary Clooney, the mellow-voiced singer who co-starred with Bing Crosby in \"White Christmas\" and staged a dramatic comeback after her career was nearly destroyed by drugs and alcohol, died Saturday. She was 74. Clooney died shortly after 6 p.m. at her Beverly Hills, Calif., home surrounded by her family, her publicist said. She had been hospitalized earlier this month after suffering a recurrence of lung cancer.

Born in Maysville, Ky., on May 23, 1928, Clooney started singing with her younger sister, Betty, on WLW radio in Cincinnati in 1945. Bandleader Tony Pastor heard the girls when he was touring Ohio and hired them. \"The Clooney Sisters\" made their debut with the band at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City in 1947.

Two years later Betty tired of performing and Rosemary relocated to New York. She soared to fame with her 1951 record of \"Come on-a My House,\" and became a star in television and films, including \"Here Come the Girls,\" with Bob Hope and \"White Christmas,\" with Crosby and Danny Kaye.

Her career was sidelined by her 1950 marriage to Oscar-winning actor Jose Ferrer and the births of their five children: Miguel in 1955; Maria, 1956; Gabriel, 1957; Monsita, 1958; Rafael, 1960. Ferrer's womanizing caused her to divorce him in 1961. After a three-year reconciliation, they divorced for the final time in 1967.

The following year was particularly difficult. Clooney was devastated by Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination, and was present with two of her children in the ballroom of the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles when Robert F. Kennedy was shot.

For years she had taken pills to assuage personal grief and maintain her double life as a star and a single mother. Overeating had caused her to gain 60 pounds. Her children and associates became alarmed at her irrational and erratic behavior which sabotaged her attempts to return to performing.

After four years of therapy, Clooney return to performing in 1972 at Copenhagen's Tivoli Gardens. For the first time in years, she found joy in entertaining an audience. \"Then at Christmas in 1975 Bing called me,\" she said in a 1985 interview. \"He said he was going to do a concert at the Los Angeles Music Center. Would I appear with him?\" She agreed, thinking it would be a one-time benefit. But the pair continued on to Chicago, New York, and London. The Clooney career was reborn. She won a new record contract, and singing dates poured in.

In 1995, she received an Emmy Award nomination for guest actress in a drama series for her role on \"ER\" with her nephew, actor George Clooney, who is the son of her brother, veteran TV newscaster Nick Clooney. In 1996, Clooney married Hollywood dancer Dante DiPaolo. She is also survived by a brother, sister, and 10 grandchildren.

Source : Billboard.com , July 1,2002


Night Owl

Legendary Jazz Bassist Ray Brown Dies

AP : Ray Brown, a legendary jazz bassist who played with giants Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Oscar Peterson, and his one-time wife Ella Fitzgerald in a career that spanned more than half a century, has died. He was 75.

Brown died yesterday (July 2) in his sleep in Indianapolis where he was finishing an engagement at the Jazz Kitchen at the conclusion of the U.S. leg of a tour, said John Clayton, a friend and fellow bassist. Brown had played golf earlier Tuesday and went to take an afternoon nap, Clayton said. When he did not show up to perform with his trio, a bandmate went to his hotel where his body was found in his room.

Brown, a technically accomplished bassist known for tasteful rhythmic lines, started his career in the 1940s and was among the founders of bebop. \"Ray played with such strength and power and he had such great musical knowledge, he knew every right note to play and he had the most fantastic technique,\" said drummer Frank Capp, a close friend.

Ray Matthews Brown was born in Pittsburgh in 1926 and started on piano, switching to bass as a member of his high school orchestra. After graduating, he worked in some local bands, before moving to New York in 1945 where he was immediately involved in the emerging bebop revolution. The 19-year-old bassist was hired without an audition to join Dizzy Gillespie's experimental big band, which included such bebop innovators as Parker, Bud Powell, and Max Roach.

Brown \"is the primary contributor to bebop from a bassist's standpoint,\" Clayton said. \"We had Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, and Thelonious Monk, and there to contribute from the bass chair is Ray Brown. He was extremely important in jazz education, leading a lot of young bass players to learn the instrument.\"

Brown's bass talents were featured on such tracks as \"One Bass Hit\" recorded by a sextet led by Gillespie in 1946. The bassist also appeared with the trumpeter in the 1946 film \"Jivin' in Be-Bop,\" and played with Gillespie on such classic recordings as \"Night in Tunisia\" and \"Emanon.\"

In 1947, Brown married vocalist Ella Fitzgerald and later formed his own trio to tour with his wife. He became the singer's musical director and they continued to work together even after their divorce in the early 1950s. During this period, Brown also recorded with Parker and worked with some of his former Gillespie bandmates in the Milt Jackson Quartet, an early edition of what became the Modern Jazz Quartet.

While touring with producer Norman Granz's Jazz at the Philharmonic, Brown played with the Canadian-born Oscar Peterson and became a founding member of the pianist's drumless trio in 1952. With Herb Ellis on guitar, the trio ranked among jazz's most popular groups in the 1950s. Brown was consistently voted top bassist in critics' and readers' polls during the decade.

In 1960, Brown created a stir when he had a hybrid instrument built for him that combined features of the cello and bass. The experiment attracted plenty of interest and eventually Ron Carter had a piccolo bass designed along similar lines.

After leaving Peterson in 1966, Brown moved to California. He co-founded the group L.A. Four with saxophonist Bud Shank, Brazilian guitarist Laurindo Almeida, and drummer Shelly Manne, and also appeared regularly on the \"Merv Griffin Show.\" He recorded the album \"Something for Lester\" with pianist Cedar Walton and drummer Elvin Jones.

Since 1989, Brown recorded a series of albums for the Telarc label, many of which featured his trio with pianist Benny Green. His most recent recordings included \"Live at Starbucks,\" \"Superbass 2\" -- matching Brown with fellow bassists Christian McBride and Clayton -- and his latest, released in June, \"Some of My Best Friends Are ... Guitarists,\" featuring an all-star lineup of jazz guitarists, including Ellis, Russell Malone, John Pizzarelli, and Kenny Burrell.

Brown lived in the Sherman Oaks area of Los Angeles with his wife, Cecilia. Along with his wife, he is survived by his son, Ray Brown Jr., of Hawaii, who is the adopted son of Brown and Fitzgerald.

Source : Billboard.com , July 3, 2002


Night Owl

ข่าวย้อนหลังคะ  เพราะไม่ได้เข้าไปอ่านร่วมสองอาทิตย์


Composer Ray Conniff Dies

AP---  Ray Conniff, the Grammy Award-winning composer and bandleader whose arrangements epitomized the big band sound while spawning such albums as \"S'Wonderful\" and \"Somewhere My Love,\" died Saturday. He was 85. Conniff died at Palomar Medical Center in Escondido, Calif., after falling down and hitting his head, according to San Diego medical examiner's investigator Angela Wagner. He had suffered a stroke in April.

Born in November 1916 in Attleboro, Mass., Conniff gained much of his musical experience from his father, a trombone player, who led a local band while his mother played the piano. Conniff led a local band while in high school and eventually moved to Boston and began playing with Dan Murphy's Musical Skippers. He relocated to New York during the swing era in the mid-'30s and landed a job playing and arranging for Bunny Berigan in 1937. By 1939, he headed to Hollywood to join Bob Crosby's Bobcats, one of the hottest bands of the time.

Conniff broke out as a solo artist after being hired as a house arranger with Columbia Records in 1951. He was responsible for Johnny Mathis \"Chances Are,\" Frankie Laine's \"Moonlight Gambler,\" Johnnie Ray's \"Just Walking in the Rain,\" and Guy Mitchell's \"Singing the Blues.\" He also did arrangements for Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, and Marty Robbins.

It was Conniff's arrangement of \"Band of Gold\" for singer Don Cherry that hit the first high note of both men's careers. In 1956, the song reached No. 4 on Billboard's Top 100 and was widely thought to be Cherry's hottest recording.

That same year, Columbia decided to try out Conniff as a featured performer with a big-band mix that included guitarists Al Caiola and Tony Mottola. His debut album, \"S'Wonderful,\" in which he combined a chorus of four men and four women with a traditional big band mix of 18 instruments, stayed on Billboard's albums chart for 16 weeks, peaking at No. 11.

Conniff made more than 100 recordings and produced 25 top-40 albums for Columbia Records. He rendered such classics as \"Besame Mucho\" and \"New York, New York,\" in a career that spanned six decades. His most memorable song may have been \"Somewhere My Love.\" The song was adapted from French composer Maurice Jarre's \"Lara's Theme\" from the film \"Dr. Zhivago.\" It rose to the top of the pop and easy-listening charts and won Conniff a Grammy in 1966.

The Ray Conniff Orchestra and Singers typified the lounge-singing style of the 1950s and 1960s with a mix of wordless vocal choruses and light orchestral accompaniment.

Conniff's instrumental arrangements provided easy listening for a booming adult album market. His popularity waned with the rise of rock'n'roll but stars such as the Carpenters, Simon and Garfunkel, the Fifth Dimension, and Burt Bacharach benefited from his arrangements with recordings of \"Laughter in the Rain,\" \"I Write the Songs,\" and \"I'd Like To Teach the World To Sing.\"

Conniff received countless international awards, continued touring, and produced about an album a year. He performed at the White House during the Vietnam War and in 1974 was the first pop artist asked to record an album in Moscow. In 2001, he gave a series of concerts in Brazil. In March, he performed \"Somewhere My Love\" at the wedding of David Gest and Liza Minnelli.

Conniff is survived by his wife, Vera; a daughter, Tamara Conniff; son, Jimmy Conniff; and three grandchildren.

Source: Billboard.com , Oct 14 , 2002


Night Owl

ข่าวใหญ่คะ  ประเดิมด้วยข่าวการสูญเสียครั้งใหญ่ของวงการ
แม้จะไม่ได้เป็นแฟนเพลงขนานแท้ของ  Bee Gees  แต่ก็อดใจหายไม่ได้  เพราะอย่างน้อยก็โตมาด้วยกันในยุคหนึ่ง  ร้องตามกันได้แทบทุกเพลงเหมือนกัน :cry2:  ต่อแต่นี้เราคงไม่ได้ดู Bee Gees กันอีกแล้ว

Rest in Peace ......Maurice :cry2:


Bee Gees' Maurice Gibb Dies At 53

AP :Bee Gees principal Maurice Gibb died early this morning (Jan. 12) at a Miami Beach hospital, his family said. He was 53. Gibb, who joined with his older brother Barry and his twin Robin in one of the best selling musical groups of all time, suffered cardiac arrest before undergoing emergency surgery for a blocked intestine. He was admitted to Mount Sinai Medical Center Wednesday and underwent surgery Thursday.

\"To our extended family friends and fans, with great sadness and sorrow we regretfully announce the passing of Maurice Gibb this morning,\" Gibb's family said in a statement. \"His love, enthusiasm and energy for life remain an inspiration to all of us. We will all deeply miss him.\"

Gibb played bass and keyboards for the group, whose name is short for the Brothers Gibb. The Bee Gees have lived in South Florida since the late 1970s. Their younger brother, Andy, who had a successful solo career, died in 1988 at age 30 from a heart ailment.

Although its career has spanned more than 40 years, the Bee Gees are probably best known for their 1977 contributions to the \"Saturday Night Fever\" album, which is the best selling movie soundtrack ever with more than 40 million copies sold. The group had recently announced a hiatus after extensive promotional activity in support of its most recent Universal studio album, \"This Is Where I Came In.\"

The family emigrated from England to Australia in 1958, and the brothers soon gained fame as a teen pop group. They returned to England in the 1960s, and their first four albums contained hits such as \"1941 New York Mining Disaster,\" \"To Love Somebody,\" and their first U.S. No. 1 hit, 1971's \"How Can You Mend A Broken Heart.\"

The brothers wrote and produced songs for Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, and Dionne Warwick in the 1980s. They also wrote the Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton hit \"Islands in the Stream.\"

Source : Billboard.com , Jan 12 , 2003                                                                                  

[!--EDIT|Night Owl|Jan 13 2003, 12:23--]

Night Owl

คุณพจน์คะ ช่วยเอาปีออกได้ไหมคะ  จะได้ใช้ได้ตลอดไป  ขอบคุณคะ                                                                                  


ทราบข่าวเมื่อเช้านี้  :( เสียใจจริงๆ ครับ ผมเป็นแฟน BeeGees เช่นกัน ต้องขอไว้อาลัยแก่ Maurice ด้วยครับ
Your music in our hearts forever. God bless your family :cry2:



ผมก็ถือว่าเป็นแฟนเพลงของ Bee Gees คนหนึ่งเหมือนกัน ถึงจะไม่ได้ชอบมากๆเป็นพิเศษก็ตาม     ยังเคยหวังว่า จะได้ไปดู concert Bee Gees ในเมืองไทยสักครั้ง  คงจะไม่มีหวังแล้ว  ถึงมาก็ไม่ครบ 3 คนอีกแล้ว  :(                                                                                  
And in the end, The love you take is equal to the love you make.

พจน์  อุดมลาภสกุล
ผมมีร้านค้าขายอุปกรณ์เครื่องเสียงเป็นของตนเอง ความเห็นของผมอาจไม่เป็นกลาง กรุณาพิจารณาด้วยความระมัดระวัง


ช่วงนี้มีทีวีของที่นี่ช่องนึงที่ผมดูประจำจะเอา music video หรือ คอนเสริตของ Bee Gees มาฉายให้ดูเวลาขั้นระหว่างรายการตลอดเลยครับ ช่วงนี้เลยได้ฟังเพลง Bee Gees บ่อย ชอบเพลง \"Too Much Heaven\" ครับ ^_^

In Loving Memory
Maurice Gibb
\"Life down to 20 Hz\"

Night Owl

Jazz/Soul Legend Nina Simone Dies

Nina Simone, the jazz great whose rapsy, forceful voice helped define the civil rights movement, died today (April 22) at her home in France, according to her U.S. booking agent. She was 70.

Though she remained a top concert draw in her later years, she was quite frail. Eric Hanson, an agent with her U.S. booking agency Ted Kurland Associates, confirmed Simone's death. At a 2001 concert at New York's Carnegie Hall, she had to be helped to the stage, and was later seen sitting backstage in a wheelchair.

Simone spent much of her recent time in France. She was survived by a daughter, Lisa, according to her personal manager, Clifton Henderson.

Simone, born Eunice Kathleen Waymon in Tryon, N.C., was a classically trained pianist whose songs ranged from blues to spirituals to classical fare. But she gained fame in 1959 with her recording of \"I Loves You Porgy,\" from the musical \"Porgy & Bess.\" She later became a voice of the civil rights movement, with her song \"Mississippi Goddam,\" and later, \"To Be Young, Gifted and Black.\"

In 1998, she blamed racism in the United States for her decision to live abroad, saying that as a black person she has \"paid a heavy price for fighting the establishment.\" She did not elaborate but said racial inequality in the United States was now \"worse than ever.\" She left the United States in 1973 and lived in the Caribbean and Africa before settling in Europe.

Simone, who had a regal presence onstage, enjoyed perhaps her greatest success in the 1960s and 70s, with songs like \"I Want A Little Sugar in My Bowl,\" and \"Peaches.\"

She recorded songs from as diverse as Bob Dylan to the Bee Gees and made them her own. Perhaps one of her more popular covers was her version of Dylan's \"House of the Rising Sun.\" In recent years, her music was cited as an influence on such artists as Fiona Apple and Jeff Buckley.

Source: Billboard.com , April 21 ,2003

Karin Preeda

วันนี้ก็ Barry White นะครับ เสียชีวิตแล้ว ขอแสดงความอาลัยครับ  :(  


"The more mediocre your music is, the more accessible it is to a larger number of people in the United States." ~ Frank Zappa ~


Bob Hope ดาวตลกอเมริกัน เสียชีวิตด้วยวัย 100 ปี ครับ
And in the end, The love you take is equal to the love you make.

พจน์  อุดมลาภสกุล
ผมมีร้านค้าขายอุปกรณ์เครื่องเสียงเป็นของตนเอง ความเห็นของผมอาจไม่เป็นกลาง กรุณาพิจารณาด้วยความระมัดระวัง


Rosalyn TURECK เสียชีวิตแล้วครับ

Rosalyn Tureck: Bach specialist dies, aged 88

Decades of academic study and specialisation gave Tureck’s Bach a deep sense of context and completeness. The result, according to one Gramophone review, was ‘a magical interaction of scholarship and imaginative brio’.

For her, good performance began with ‘the gathering together of historical data, concepts, media and performance practices, the structural facets and, deepest of all, the concept that gives rise to a composer’s sense of form structure and sonorities,’ she wrote in the introduction to her 1998 Goldberg Variations for Deutsche Grammophon. She played Bach on both the piano and harpsichord, and sometimes on the clavichord, organ and even electronic synthesiser. On one tour she played the Goldbergs (with all repeats) twice in the same evening: once on a harpsichord, and again (after dinner) on a piano. She even played Bach on an electronic instrument by L้on Th้r้min (with whom she studied) at her first New York public performance, at the Carnegie Hall.

Born in Chicago, Turick’s first teacher was Sophia Brilliant-Liven, a former pupil of Anton Rubinstein. Aged 14 she began studying with Jan Chiapusso, a pianist and Baroque scholar born in Java, who both introduced her to the sounds of the gamelan and was the first to suggest she focus on Bach (particularly once he’d discovered that she could learn a new Prelude and Fugue every three days). Aged 16 she began studying with Olga Samaoff at the Juilliard School of Music, and studied harpsichord and clavichord with Gavin Williamson.

The musical focus of her career was sealed by a life-changing incident just before her 17th birthday. ‘I had begun work on the A minor Prelude and Fugue from Book I [of The Well-Tempered Clavier], when, having perceived its essential materials in its exposition section, I suddenly lost consciousness. I don’t know for how long it was, but when I came to, I had a whole new insight into Bach’s music.’ She was left with the notion that ‘Bach’s structures in performance required a whole new way of thinking musical form and structure.’ Launching into her new approach, she initially took three days to learn just four lines. The result was a very precise playing style that remained with her throughout her life.

Other composers still played a role. Her orchestral d้but was Brahms’s Piano Concerto No 2 (with the Philadelphia Orchestra and Eugene Ormandy in 1936), and subsequent recitals included Chopin, Liszt, Debussy, Weber, Tchaikovsky, Alb้niz, Ravel and Rachmaninov.

In 1937 she gave an all-Bach six-concert recital in New York, considered risky programming, but attracting critical acclaim and the beginnings of a following. Her European d้but came in 1947, and her London d้but in 1953 (three Bach recitals at the Wigmore Hall). Her dedication to Bach scholarship led Tureck to found the International Bach Society, in 1968, followed in 1981 by the Tureck Bach Institute. She also taught and lectured at the Juilliard, and Oxford, Princeton, and Yale universities. Numerous honorary degrees included one from Oxford. Her publications include the three-volume Introduction to the Performance of Bach (1959-60), many articles, and editions of Bach’s music.

From the mid-1960s she frequently appeared as conductor. She also performed contemporary music, giving premi่re performances of works by William Schuman, David Diamond and Vittorio Giannini, and in 1949 founding the New York-based contemporary music society Composers of Today.

But it is for her Bach that she will be best remembered – for performances such as her legendary 1953 recording of the ‘48’, (reissued by DG (2/2000)). A 1975/6 recording of Book 1 (BBC Legends) is nominated in the Historic Archive category of this year’s Gramophone Awards.

‘In Bach everything is so complex and yet so simple in the end,’ she said of the composer to whom she showed a perhaps unequalled level of devotion.
Martin Cullingford, Gramophone News and Online Editor

แล้วก็อีก 1 ครับ Mr. Harold Schoenberg

Harold C Schonberg, chief music critic for The New York Times for two decades from 1960 and the first music critic to receive a Pulitzer Prize, has died aged 87.

Schonberg, who also wrote one of the definitive studies of piano-playing, The Great Pianists, contributed a ‘Letter from New York’ to Gramophone for 12 years starting with the November 1947 issue.

ก็ขอไว้อาลัยแด่ทั้ง 2 ท่านด้วยครับ  
ยังเล่นเครื่องชุดเดิม อยู่ครับ มันแข็งแรงจริงดึจริงๆ :)


Sam Philips เสียชีวิตแล้ว แต่ตามข่าวไม่ได้บอกสาเหตุการเสียชีวิต
เขาเป็นผู้ปลุกปั้น Elvis Presley และเป็นเจ้าของสังกัด Sun Records ที่ออกผลงานชุดแรกให้กับราชาเพลงร็อคแอนด์โรลท่านนี้

"The more mediocre your music is, the more accessible it is to a larger number of people in the United States." ~ Frank Zappa ~

Night Owl

Legendary Producer Sam Phillips Dies

Sun Records founder Sam Phillips, who decided that a then-unknown Elvis Presley deserved a recording contract when he heard him sing songs for his mother, has died. He was 80. Phillips, the record producer who helped usher in the rock 'n' roll revolution, died yesterday (July 30) of respiratory failure at Memphis' St. Francis Hospital, his son Knox Phillips said. He said his father had been in declining health for a year.

The elder Phillips founded Sun Records in 1952 and helped launch the career of Presley, then a young singer who had moved from Tupelo, Miss. In the summer of 1953, Presley went to the Sun studio to record two songs for his mother's birthday. Phillips noticed him and offered Presley a recording contract.

Phillips produced Presley's first record, the 1954 single that featured \"That's All Right, Mama\" and \"Blue Moon of Kentucky,\" and nine more. \"God only knows that we didn't know it would have the response that it would have,\" Phillips said in a 1997 interview. \"But I always knew that the rebellion of young people, which is as natural as breathing, would be a part of that breakthrough.\"

Presley was good with ballads, Phillips recalled, but there was no need to challenge the established balladeers like Perry Como and Bing Crosby. \"What there was a need for was a rhythm that had a very pronounced beat, a joyous sound and a quality that young people in particular could identify with,\" he said.

Born Samuel Cornelius Phillips in Florence, Ala., Phillips worked as an announcer at radio stations in Alabama and Nashville, before settling in Memphis in 1945. He started Sun Records so he could record both rhythm & blues singers and country performers. His plan was to let artists who had no formal training play their music as they felt it, raw and full of life. The Sun motto was \"We Record Anything, Anywhere, Anytime.\"

In the early days, before Presley, Phillips worked mostly with black musicians, including B.B. King and Rufus Thomas.

After the success of Presley on Sun, others who recorded for the label under Phillips included Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Conway Twitty and Charlie Rich. He got out of the recording business in 1962 and sold Sun Records in 1969 to producer Shelby Singleton of Nashville. The Sun studio on Union Avenue in Memphis is now a tourist attraction.

In his later years, Phillips spent much of his time operating radio stations in Memphis and in Alabama. He stayed out of the limelight except for some appearances at Presley-related events after Presley's death.

Last summer, BMG Heritage released the two-disc retrospective \"Sun Records: The 50th Anniversary Collection.\" In an interview with Billboard, Phillips said he derived tremendous pleasure from people who tell him his actions gave them the courage to follow their dreams.

\"I've been told so many times that I was an inspiration to people who went into the business, who felt, 'If he can do it, we've got a chance,'\" he said. \"And I have to say that makes me feel better than anything in the world. It's the greatest thing.\"

Source : Billboard.com , July 31 ,2003